A lot of my work doesn’t rely on a fixed location and as with many of us required me to maximise productivity when on the road. Here are the common things I carry around with me:
- BlackBerry 8800, couldn’t be half as effective during travel without this – knocking emails, scheduling tasks and contacting people while waiting for trains, planes etc.
- Standard wired headset and bluetooth headset for the Blackberry
- X60 Tablet – I’m a real tablet fan as it gives me the widest choice of input types and is much more acceptable in physical meetings than having a screen open.
- A spare battery (and if possible charged!) so as to last a day if at conferences.
- Mobile data card (invaluable!)
- A portable mouse, the Logitech VX Nano. I would not be without this portable mouse now. The only pain is that I have to unplug the receiver before standby otherwise it wakes the laptop up – not good if like me you prefer not to toast your laptop in your bag.
- A standard telephone headset. When away I still have to do many conference calls, and you can never find a desk with a headset so I now just take one. Its really changed my comfort levels during calls and takes minimal room in my bag.
- Logitech presentation wand. This is worth every penny! I even find myself using it when talking just using my screen.
- Several USB memory sticks.
Tools I use to stay effective on the road
Corporate stuff (in no particular order):
- Lotus Notes
- Lotus Sametime (IM and presence and sometimes web meetings)
- AT&T Connect for integrated audio and web meetings (my preferred virtual meeting tool)
- CSC’s PC backup and restore service
- Confluence Wiki
- Mindjet Mind Manager Pro
- Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
- Our Office Communication Server lab environment for one-to-one video calls with team members.
- SkyDrive to share selected files with people
- Twitter – more colleague focused updates
- MSN Messenger and Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 for calls back to home (I find its really nice to see the family when away – especially when abroad).
- Facebook to keep up-to date with friends (on both web and BlackBerry)
- Googlemail to keep up with personal emails (again on both web and BlackBerry)
- Newsgator Feeddemon
- Ultramon (for when I can find a monitor on travels)
Important non-techie stuff
- Hard backed notebook (even with a tablet I still need pencil and paper at times)
- Travel sickness tablets (tilting express trains and flights sometimes set me off but the tablets control nausea and maintain my effectiveness)
- Flyers about our services.
Desires for the future
- A folding screen
- Better bag storage (thats mainly down to me!)